Electrical Services Bexhill
Does Your Business Premises Need PAT?
Electricity is an essential part of our everyday lives. We need it to run our homes and our businesses. But for employers, electrical appliances that are safe to use are also a Health and Safety issue. Employers have a duty of care to their employees and must ensure that working conditions are comfortable and above all, safe.
Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) is a service offered to employers and individuals to ensure that electrical appliances in the workplace and in domestic properties are working correctly and safely. PAT is not compulsory by law, although Health and Safety laws do require that employers maintain their electrical equipment to ensure that they are in safe working order and there’s no risk of injury.
If you run a business then a PAT service is highly recommended for peace of mind. Here’s a look at what’s involved in PAT and injuries that can occur if appliances aren’t maintained to a safe standard.
Portable Appliance Testing involves the inspection, testing and visual checking of portable appliances such as kettles, microwaves, power drills, heaters, hair drying equipment and medical equipment to ensure they are safe to use.
How regularly they are tested can depend on the type of appliances and how often they are used. For example, a power tool or hair drying and sun lamps would need testing more regularly than a table lamp in a bed and breakfast.
Simple tests can be easily carried out by a competent member of staff. However, for safety’s sake more complex appliances that have a greater potential to cause injury should be tested by a professional PAT tester. An annual inspection is recommended for peace of mind.
Which Businesses Need PAT?
Although PAT is not obligatory by law, there are certain businesses that should take advantage of a professional inspection. These are:
- Beauty and hair salons
- Health clubs
- Doctor and dentist surgeries
If you don’t keep an eye on your electrical appliances, your employees, customers or tenants are at risk from the following electrical injuries:
- Electric shock. Voltage as low as 50 volts can block the electrical signals between the brain and muscles resulting in cardiac arrest, muscle spasms, respiratory failure and even death.
- Electrical burns. Deep internal burns that require major surgery and can result in severe disability.
- Thermal burns. Skin burns due to appliances overheating from overloads, faults, bad maintenance or short circuits.